Friday, February 13, 2009

F**K Valentine's Day.

F#@^K Valentine's Day.

There, thats the title all you people expected. but this post isn't about valentine's day or why I hate it, really. I'm pretty much indifferent to valentine's day, my problem is with any kind of social order that tells me I *have* to do something , on *THAT* particular day, and if I don't I'm a bad mate. To me, Valentine's day has the position of the SATs, as part of a college application. How in the world can you reduce 4 years of high school study, extra curriculars, and other activities to a single test score, taken on a single day of heightened scrutiny, and pressure?

In the same way, how can my entire worth be reduced to my actions on one day, that's been hyper commercialized ad nauseum. I won't even get into the argument that this holiday is rooted in western society, from middle ages, and the concept of "courtly love." A time period which, if the men were to ask women to hold THEIR end of the bargain, they would cry sexism before the.. you know what comes you know where.

St. Valentine had nothing to do with romance, love or anything even remotely close to it.

And never mind how it's just commercialized into bullshit fear, where if you don't get a girl a rose, a card, or take her to dinner, or any other crap like that you're just put into a state of FEAR.

But this post is about events that have transpired in the weeks before valentines day, and a protest avalentineforindia.blogspot.com"

I had read their postings, and posted a suggestion that they change the name, for their own benefit, and ability to connect with the silent majority within the country.

Some ridiculously misguided, anonymous prick, responded with (I'm eliminating some of the post):

--------------------------------
Modern democracy, personal freedom, adult franchise, written constitution, scientific enquiry- all are ideas that came to us, at least in the recent times, from the west.

Our founding fathers, when debating our constitution in the Constituent Assembly were willing to adopt these. There was no cry against these being western. The first 4 words of our constitution, and in my opinion the most magical, the most powerful ones- are a straight lift from the US constitution that was written 250 years before ours.

In the globalized world, we live in a global culture- it is inevitable and in my view desirable that cultural streams would mix and amalgamate. There is no difference between you- the so called moderate who would rather maintain the status quo because change makes him uncomfortable and the extremist fundamentalist who uses violence to force people to his views. In fact it is people of your ilk, the neo conservatives (if you prefer)who provide the seed bed for extremists to develop and provide them with the intellectual and philosophical sustenance.

Step out of your shell- do not only tolerate the difference in the other but celebrate it. You don't have to like what the other
----------------------------------


Now, I answered back, defending myself against this attack, as person should be allowed to do. The post was deleted and I was met with "you can't pee all over our blog" I actually saw myself as cleaning up the pee.

But fine, I stopped expecting unbiased treatment in the blogosphere, so I respectfully asked MANY times for the post (the original post) to be deleted, as I couldn't respond, there was no point in having it up there in the first place. And this request was repeatedly ignored, and I was assured by the blog moderator, the reason for being ignored was the impending protest and the time necessary to spend in preparation. Yes, ok I understand that.

Yet, the requests for deletion were deleted! How much more time does it take to delete the actual post I want eliminated? but they deleted my REQUESTS but nothing else.

Tell me please, how much sense does this make, if they are taking the time to delete my request of deletion... WHY NOT JUST DELETE THE ORIGINAL POST?!?!

It's the height of absurdity, but I guess salivating at the expectation of roses and chocolates could make a person all cooky.

But since I'm not allowed to respond there, I shall respond here:

Modern democracy, personal freedom, adult franchise, written constitution, scientific enquiry- all are ideas that came to us, at least in the recent times, from the west.


American/modern democracy, while it does have some roots in the thoughts of Thomas Paine and other "founding fathers," really had no operational precedent in any part of Europe, which was entirely monarchies. Rather, the first European invaders and squatters, drew upon the Native Americans form of government, most prominently, through the Iroquois League:

http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/CULAMRCA/IRLEAGUE.HTM

It was this entity that eventually became the foundation for the US Constitution.

But even so, lets say for arguments sake that India owes the west, in particular, the United States for its democratic ideals. What does this have to do with importing American/Western views on courtship and courtly love? Absolutely none. All it does, is propagate a continued unequal positioning of men and women, one that both men and women should be fighting to erase, if we all want the equality that we say we do.

"There is no difference between you- the so called moderate who would rather maintain the status quo because change makes him uncomfortable and the extremist fundamentalist who uses violence to force people to his views"



Uhh. No in fact that's the entire reason for calling someone a "moderate" is that they do not resort to violence, but believe their viewpoint is one worth merit. Is everyone that is pro-abortion, want to just fuck repeatedly until they die? Is everyone anti-abortion going to blow up a clinic? It's ironic that you make a point like this and then immediately ask me to :

" Step out of your shell- do not only tolerate the difference in the other but celebrate it. "


No, how about you step out of your shell, and stop thinking everything out of the west is inherently better and more fair. I've already shown you how Valentine's Day is rooted simply INEQUALITY, positioning men and women as inherently different. You can't retain a segment of that thought process, and want to eliminate the rest. It's called being selective, and ultimately it's hypocritical.

But I understand that men have to go along with female hypocrisy if we are to ever get any poontang. So I don't blame you for what you think.

No comments: