Saturday, October 11, 2008

I hate reality TV.

I hate reality television.

But I saw recently, what's possibly the best segment of reality television I've seen my entire life.

It was an episode of beauty and the geek. and the task for the girls was to go into a club wearing "normal" or "bad" clothing, no makeup, and ACTIVELY approach men and get their numbers.

Now some of these pampered b*tches were shocked to learn that men carried phones and those phones were assigned a 10 digit number. But I digress.

Finally, these dumb bimbos got a taste of what normal guys like myself and a host of others have to experience on a daily basis. having to actually put their egos on the line, not just sit back and wait for someone else to roll up on them. This is what our realities are like, the struggles we have to endure.

And it brought them (rightfully) to tears, when they realized they could be rejected. and a single rejection cut into their little weak minded psychii's over and over, while guys like us have to experience that 100+ times per week.

It's sort of like the great masterpiece written by John Howard Griffin, "Black like me" where he took psorlen, to make his skin darker (as he didnt believe the absolute 2nd class citizen ship that these "uppity" negroes were claiming) So he finally underwent the hardships that black folks were going through on a daily basis. And then commented, "I can stop being black any time" likewise these women can stop being "unattractive" any time, and immediate take refuge in their cosmetics, fashion and low cut tops.

So in this episode, I truly have no sympathy for these women, coasting through this part of life with so much ease. finally they got their comeuppance in a small way. Of course it could never be equal to them living an entire life that way, they could never comprehend that, however, now they know at a small level what it feels like, hopefully that lesson sticks with them.

7 comments:

THE_HMF said...

I see none of the faithful has commented here. There's no real debating this point.

Anonymous said...

Women put themselves on the line all the time HMF. I don't know how many times as a teen I've been spurrned by a guy a like when I told him or asked him out. Then in my twenties I became shy and decided to let men approach me instead. We are all scared of rejection, not just guys.

THE_HMF said...

"Women put themselves on the line all the time HMF"

By all the time, you mean, never.

"Then in my twenties I became shy and decided to let men approach me instead."

And you're lucky we live in a society allows you to do that, that allows you to not feel like a failure for taking that approach.

" We are all scared of rejection, not just guys."

But we're the only one's that have to confront that fear.

Anonymous said...

You are delusional if you think girls and women do not face the fear of rejection. I faced from first crush in second grade, and so did my friends.

THE_HMF said...

Where did I say that? try and read for once please.

I'm saying we live in a society where men have to face that fear MORE FORCEFULLY as society deems it the mans job to approach first.

Women might have the fear but they can just adopt a stance of "I'm waiting for someone to approach me"

In the end, its pure logic, someone has to take that initial risk, but in a society that so *absolutely* puts that on a man, we have to develop ways of "hardening our skin" to that emotion of rjection. women do not.

Every girl I approach I have to take into account the possibilty that I get rejected. Now imagine going through that 100 times. FOr you to sit there and say you know what thats like is absolute bullshit. It seems like all the delusion is on your side of the corner.

THE_HMF said...

It really comes down to this:

As males, we just have to hope that we find women who understand the disproportionate difficulty that we face, because yes, as you say, women learn early on the pain of rejection (and due to socialization from their older peers, sisters, and sometimes mothers) figure out ways to protect themselves.

It's a natural human response to try and shield onesself from pain. Unforunately that option is not available to men. We get the shaft either way, if we take a stance of "We're not approaching, just waiting to be approached" we severly limit our choices (As most women take the "I want to be chased" approach) and also have our very beings, self-worth, and masculinity brought into questiton.

If we take the "I'm gonna approach" point of view, we have to be able to take multiple rejections and simply harden our skin to being repeatedly rejected. ie not put much stock in any one interaction - if we do, it sets us up for a fall.

Look at it this way, 2 people touch a hot frying pan and get burned. but one person has to repeatedly touch the frying pan because if he doesn't his very value as a human being is brought into question.

What happens? You just get a blistered, numb finger. all the nerves have been destroyed.

THE_HMF said...

Again, this is one of those uncontestable points. There's really no counter argument here.